[arch-haskell] Obsolete information on the web

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sun Jan 30 22:16:56 CET 2011

Thanks for putting together this list of pages.  I agree we need to
make some updates here.  Here are my thoughts on it all:

On 25/01/11 18:58, Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> it appears that there are plenty of web pages about ArchHaskell that
> contain obsolete or even misleading information. A quick search
> revealed the following URLs:
>
>  * http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Haskell_package_guidelines
>
>    This page contains plenty of obsolete information that should be
>    updated (such as the URLs for the cabal2arch repository, etc.).
>    Furthermore, we should probably mention the URL of the binary
>    repository on that page.

This page should be the main page for packaging Haskell for Arch.  As
such keep guidelines for libraries and executables, naming, etc.  In
short, what is coded into cabal2arch.  Keep the section on bauerbill.

There should be *brief* pointers to the ArchHaskell stuff at the top.

>  * http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Arch_Linux/Policy
>
>    This page is out-dated. Also, it's not quite clear how it relates
>    to page on the archlinux.org wiki.

This page is weird, I'd say we remove it.

>  * http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Arch_Linux/Arch_Haskell_Group_Maintainership
>
>    The process described on that page out-of-date.

Yes, it's out of date and needs updating.  I am not so sure it belongs
on the Haskell wiki either.  Should we just create a page for
ArchHaskell.

>  * http://www.galois.com/~dons/arch-haskell-status.html
>
>    This page hasn't been updated since Aug 15th, 2010.

We don't have any direct control over this page, but it wouldn't be
too hard to recreate it and put it somewhere else.

>  * http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Arch_Linux/Preferred_Package_Tools
>
>    This page says that yaourt cannot be used to install Haskell
>    packages because it's doesn't support $provides, but I believe
>    that it does, in fact. I'm not a yaourt user myself, though, so I
>    wonder whether someone could very this?

Let's remove this page completely.

> I thought about fixing those pages, but I feel a little overwhelmed
> by the sheer number of pages that need to be edited. It feels like
> there is quite a bit of redundancy. Does anyone have a suggestion
> how we might tackle this task?  Would anyone mind if we'd just
> delete most of those pages?

I'll remove the following two:

  * http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Arch_Linux/Policy
  * http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Arch_Linux/Preferred_Package_Tools

Then I'll start editing the guidelines page (on the Arch Wiki).

What do you think about moving the ArchHaskell Group Maintainership
page from the Haskell wiki to the Arch wiki?

> And while I am at it ... where is our home page supposed to be? Is
> it on Github? On haskell.org? On archlinux.org?
> archhaskell.wordpress.com?

I think the it's worth separating the Haskell packaging policy from
the ArchHaskell group (like it is at the moment).  I do however think
that we should be putting most of the info on the Arch wiki rather
than on the Haskell wiki.

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org