[arch-haskell] New README with goals and other info

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Jan 15 09:20:43 CET 2011

In an attempt to better define what it is we are trying to achieve I've
re-written the README.  Please read and comment on it before I upload it.

The Haskell ABS tree for ArchLinux

This project contains a tree of ArchLinux PKGBUILDs that's used to compile a
binary repository of Haskell packages. If you'd like to use that repository,
then append the following two lines at the end of your
`/etc/pacman.conf` file:

    Server = http://andromeda.kiwilight.com/$repo/$arch

If you'd like to build the repository on your own machine, then please make
sure that the `devtools` package is installed, and then run the
script that's included in this directory. The script will create a clean
ArchLinx installation in a chroot environment at `/var/tmp/chroot-${arch}`,
where `${arch}` is either `i686` or `x86_64`, depending on your
hardware. It is
also possible to cross-compile the i686 repository on 64-bit machines by
running the script as follows: `setarch i686 ./makeworld`.

The ArchHaskell project

Our main goal is to maintain a binary repository of up-to-date packages
form [hackageDB][1].  To achieve this we also maintain three repositories of
tools, libraries, and scripts:

* [cabal2arch][2] is the central tool which converts a CABAL file into a
  PKGBUILD, and optionally a `.install`.
* [archlinux][3] is the main dependency of `cabal2arch`.
* [archlinux-web][4] contains a library and a set of scripts that help with
  various web-related tasks such as updating the information on
  on what versions of packages that are available for ArchLinux.

All discussion around our HABS tree and other packages take place on the
[ArchHaskell mailinglist][5].

The available packages

Currently the repository contains less than 100 packages, which is less than
5% of the packages on [hackageDB][1].  We would of course like to cover 100%
of [hackageDB][1], but our resources, tools and processes don't allow it

Chosing of the current set

The current set of packages was chosen in a very unstructured way, and
we are
still discussing how to decide what packages we take on.  Please get
by joining the [mailinglist][5] is you have opinions on how we should
pick the
packages we provide.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/hackage.html
[2] https://github.com/archhaskell/cabal2arch