[arch-haskell] State of Affairs: Summarizing 83 days worth of experience

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sat Jan 8 11:28:22 CET 2011

Hi Magnus,

 > do you think that our earlier discussion was on target, i.e. did we
 > correctly identify the real pain points [...]?

I'm not quite sure what the problems were that we identified in earlier
discussions, but I believe that the points I just explained in my
enough, we don't communicate enough, and our tools require way too much
manual effort to get the job done.

 > [Does] our suggestions on improving our tools still make sense?

Well, I am not sure what concrete suggestions have been made. I am aware
of several patches that Remy has come up with, and those patches are
quite valuable because they address concrete deficiencies in cabal2arch.
Still, cabal2arch is not even close to generating a working habs tree
from Hackage without requiring massive human intervention. We have yet
to come up with algorithms and strategies to improve that.

I realize that my comments in this thread are only semi-helpful, because
all I do is point out problems. What I should be doing is pointing out
*solutions*. Unfortunately, I don't know the solutions either. Now,
there are lots of smart people on this list. I was hoping that we can
figure out the solutions together.

Take care,
Peter