[arch-haskell] On datafiles in libraries

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Jan 7 07:20:42 CET 2011

I've just created issue 20[1] for cabal2arch.  Basically there's a problem
with the data files provided in archlinux, but used in cabal2arch.  Having
data files in a library package breaks our basic assumption that executables
only need to makedepend on the libraries it uses.

In this case I still think that we should remove the data files completely
from the packages and only host them at a well-known URL (on
kiwilight.com or
haskell.org).  cabal2arch should then default to use that URL, for
development
and testing it might be interesting to add a command line switch to load it
from another location, a URL or file.

For now I assigned the issue to Remy.  Feel free to re-assign it if you want
to.

This is a larger issue though and in the future we may have to revisit the
assumption.  I have a feeling that using shared objects (dynamic libraries)
will force us to change it anyway.

/M

[1] https://github.com/archhaskell/cabal2arch/issues#issue/20
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org