[arch-haskell] [arch-general] Haskell Support Was: Xmonad version?

Fabio Riga rifabio at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 01:29:12 CET 2011

2011/12/23 Bernardo Barros <bernardobarros2 at gmail.com>

> Why can't we just update to ghc 7.0.4 for now? Nothing will break,
> look at the bugfixes:

Actually *everything* will break: every time we update ghc, we need to
recompile every package depending on it (i.e. every haskell package). No
matter what version we upgrade to.

> BTW Fedora is doing a better job with Haskell then Arch now. they
> updated to 7.0.4 and are supporting a lot more packages. And now we
> are dropping packages.

We are here to make Arch a better distro for Haskell.

> I think haskell packages are indeed a bit trickier then normal
> c/c++/python/etc libraries and packages, since their dependencies
> seems to be much stronger. And keep in mind "rolling release" does not
> mean "unstable" or "testing", it just means that we don't have
> releases but the system must always work and must be stable.

... with the last stable version available.

> It we are going to be a "experimental" with 7.2.2 (which I think it's
> a mistake) we have to have a mechanism to ensure that at least a set
> of important packages used in production will never break, that there
> are quite a few of them.

That's exactly what cblrepo is used for? Am I wrong?

It seems to me that the meaning of "testing" in 7.2 branch is about "new
features that could change in 7.4"; it's not about "breaking 7.0 branch".
 What works with 7.0.4 should works as well with 7.2 (and actually do!).

Look at this:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.2.2/html/users_guide/release-7-2-1.html.

I made a testing repo and updated to ghc-7.2.2 some 100 packages, and
everything looks okay. For me it's the same, we can use both 7.2.2 or
7.0.4. During Christmas holiday I have enough time to try and build most of
packages for one of those. If Magnus agree.

Witch version should I use? For now we have 1 vote for 7.2.2 (Magnus) and 1
for 7.0.4 (Bernardo).

Fabio