split-objects etc. (was: [arch-haskell] How to update packages in extra?)

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Oct 19 16:38:12 EDT 2010

Hi Magnus,

 > From my Debian days I remember that split-objects could cause
 > problems in some cases.

do you still remember the problem in a little bit more detail? I am
unaware of any problems that split-objects might cause, so I'm curious
about this.

Split objects have the potential to generate way smaller binaries, so I
feel that this feature is highly desirable (for *all* packages, not just
those in [extra]).

 > Is there any reason why cabal2arch shouldn't enable shared libs and
 > profiling libs?

I wouldn't know of any problems, at least not on Linux. In fact, I am
all for enabling those features generally in cabal2arch, so that *all*
PKGBUILDs we generate have them.

Take care,
Peter