[arch-haskell] How to update packages in extra?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Oct 19 06:53:11 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:35, Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010/10/19 Vesa Kaihlavirta <vpkaihla at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:37 PM, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> TUs only have access to the [community] repository so I wouldn't be able to
>>> update anything in [extra]. That stated, I could contact the devs to request
>>> access specifically to maintain Haskell packages for the Arch-Haskell team
>>> (either alongside Vegai or replacing him if he is no longer interested).
>>
>> The replacing sounds good. Any volunteers?
>
> I also volunteer to help for [extra] : if we ever have a binary
> repository for arch-haskell, I suggest we only keep in
> [extra]/[community] the needed libraries to build xmonad and other
> popular Haskell programs.

I think it's worth thinking a bit about how to organise having popular
Haskell programs in [extra] and [community].  And how to harmoniously
have a [archhaskell] repository.

For instance:
• what do we do with Haskell Platform?  (several of the packages in HP
are already in [extra]/[community], but I don't think all are)
• how do we deal with updates that trigger re-compilation across
repositories?  (I often bump into haskell-http it seems, some package
foo is compiled against one version, another package bar is compiled
against another, and then I get scary messages from GHC when I try to
compile baz which relies on both foo and bar)

I suspect there are no easy solutions to this particular problem.

Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus         identi.ca|twitter: magthe