[arch-haskell] Heads-up: ghc-7.0.1-1 => testing

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 05:06:52 EST 2010

On 2010/11/16 Vesa Kaihlavirta <vpkaihla at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> As you may have noticed, ghc-7.0.1 was just released. I've built the
> package and did some preliminary testing and the basics work fine.
>
> So, anticipating the next haskell-platform version with ghc-7.0.1,
> I'll upload this to testing in the next 24 hours so we can start
> whacking at it.
>
> NOTE that nothing else has been built on this yet, so everything else
> is bound to fail if you're following the testing repository.

Is it too late to use the "new" [staging] repository instead of
[testing] for this ? It was aimed at large rebuilds, and it looks it
is the case here. Many incompatibilities are expected: if GHC7 is
supposed to enter the main repositories in 2011, [testing] may be too
early.

For example, the current version of mtl cannot be built with GHC7, but
mtl-1.1.1.0 is compatible. I see that HP2011 may set mtl2 to be the
standard, so we have the choice of either:
* follow haskell-platform ML and choose to build the proposed contents
of HP2011 in a test repo
* keep HP2010 versions of the libraries unless they are incompatible
with GHC7, and then do the minimal upgrade so that most packages
remain compatible.

--
Rémy.