[arch-haskell] Installing ghc 6.12

Tasha Buckley etherealgoddess at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 06:21:34 EST 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
> Has anyone gone through the exercise of installing GHC 6.12 on Arch?
>
> Any tips on how to get a well working system?  Would getting
> haskell-platform out of AUR be enough?  Have the binary packages in
> [extra] have to be rebuilt as well, or are they already compiled with
> 6.12?

I've installed 6.12 and have a few things back up and running. Vesa
has already pushed xmonad-{contrib} 0.9.1 to extra so you should see
it shortly. It's dependencies have already been placed in extra.
Hopefully you'll see them in your local mirror soon. I think most
binaries that were in extra have been rebuilt, but obviously Vesa is
the one who would best know.

Getting the haskell-platform out of the AUR would neither be
sufficient nor possible at the moment. First, I don't think anyone has
actually decided how to reconcile older packages comprising the
platform with the newer updates that would be in the AUR. Secondly,
many don't work building directly from hackage because they need to be
made compatible with 6.12 in the first place.