[arch-haskell] Re: Can I help to maintain Haskell packages on AUR?

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Tue Aug 10 12:42:36 EDT 2010

simons:
> Hi Don,
>
>  > There are some other scripts that need to be in place. My timeline for
>  > this is:
>  >
>  >     * Release updated versions of cabal2arch and archlinux packages [done]
>  >     * GHC 6.12.3 into extra
>  >     * Release all additional scripts (i.e. for generating
>  >           http://www.galois.com/~dons/arch-haskell-status.html , and process for updating.
>  >     * Create group account.
>  >     * Hand over maintainership for packages.
>
> this is one brilliant plan you have thought out there. I mean, plenty of
> AUR packages have been out of date for several months, but surely GHC
> must be updated to 6.12.3 before we can do anything about that! Makes

This is absolutely required -- if I update with cabal2arch now, those
packages will immediately break.

> perfect sense to me, and I also totally agree that scripts to update
> your homepage are far more desperately needed than the ability to
> install recent Haskell packages on Arch Linux. Great thinking!

They're scripts that update the entire set of metadata that ensures AUR
remains consistent, without conflicting versions pruning large parts of
the build tree.

> I'll be holding my breath expecting some actual progress by 2020.

The most significant bottleneck for us is *not* AUR packages -- as they
can be updated fully automatically, inside of a day -- it is the GHC
core packages in binary form. Vegai needs help here.

-- Don