[arch-haskell] Grumblings about install size

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Mon Apr 5 14:12:41 EDT 2010

Hey all,

There are some grumblings about the "650M install" size for ghc 6.12
Arch package. A lot of this can't be helped, and disk is cheap, but it
might be worth a check to see how we're packaging GHC.

On Fedora, for example, they ship the prof libs in a separate package,
so their install size is 270M (around half).

Maybe we should do that?

As a comparison, the compressed package sizes on various distros:

    GHC package on Arch: 109M
    Mac installer:       138M
    Windows installer:    55M

Now, maybe this isn't a bug in the Arch packaging for GHC (and there are
various things we can do to bring down the size, such as using dynlibs
or split objects).

-- Don