[*] [arch-haskell] Arch Linux now provides more than 1000 Haskell libraries and apps

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 10:59:08 EDT 2009

* On Saturday, March 28 2009, Piyush P Kurur wrote:

>Arch Linux as a distribution and also as a platform for Haskell
>has been impressive. Forced me, an ardent Debian fan, to switch from
>Debian stable to Arch on all my desktops and laptops. However I find
>the lack of documentation packages slightly of a problem. May be it is
>also possible that I am missing something here. For example
>I had to wget the ghc documentation on the site to make a local copy.
>
>A comparison with Debian Lenny which has become stable recently show
>that Debian  comes with lots of doc packages for example for any package
>libghc-foo  there is always a package libghc-foo-doc package.
>
>I guess it will not be difficult to package a documentation packages.
>Otherwise one has to edit the appropriate aur build file. This is
>okey but I like the Debian idea of having a doc package.
>

>Regards
>
>ppk

Actually, the current ghc package (6.10.1-2) _does_ come with
documentation: the package supplies lots of files to /usr/share/doc/ghc,
but that is not the case for other packages. I guess that that
documentation accidentally slipped in, because there is no mention of
enabling or disabling docs for ghc in the ./configure.

That being said, there isn't really anything bad about keeping the haddocks
(or building them), provided that they aren't too big:
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2008-April/005574.html