[arch-haskell] Arch packages and/or Cabal-install ?

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Sun Feb 22 15:27:36 EST 2009

abimelech:
> I don't believe there's any problem with using both.

This is quite true. There's is no bad problems interleaving them.

That said, I tend to use yaourt now, except for very new things, as our
PKGBUILDs for Arch know about which C libs to install.

See this video,

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt5RE147s0Y

> I think of yaourt mostly just as a wrapper for cabal, that provides a
> consistent interface for all the dependencies on my system (just wish it wrap
> all the latest ruby gems that way, too).  Oh, if for some reason yaourt happens
> to not have the most recent version of something you want, you can just edit
> the version number and tarball address in the PKGBUILD when it asks you.

Exactly. I think this is a perfectly acceptable mode of use.

And meanwhile it means we get very good testing on the AUR PKGBUILDs ,
until more and more things move into pacman.