[arch-haskell] Unregistering lots of packages

Abhishek Dasgupta abhidg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 09:40:52 EDT 2009

2009/8/24 Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Abhishek Dasgupta<abhidg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, through the post_install() and post_remove() functions
>> in the install script (sample at /usr/share/pacman/proto.install)
>
> Not exactly what I meant.  That is still per package, and if I
> understand Don correctly it's the fact that _every_ Haskell package
> does the same thing in its post_{install,remove}() (rebuilding the
> Haddock index) that is bothering him.  What I so clumsily tried to ask
> was if pacman has a post-{install,remove} action that _isn't_ per
> package but rather per invocation of pacman.  In this example, it
> would be nice to rebuild the haddock index once rather than once per
> package.

What you're talking of is a general hook mechanism which is being
considered for pacman as it would not only simplify this case, but
also allow us to update man-db, update the icon cache and mime cache
etc. automatically, after all the packages in a pacman transaction
have finished installing.  Some initial discussion on this has taken
place [1] [2], but I don't think anything concrete has happened.

[1]: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Pacman_Hooks
[2]: http://archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-August/007421.html

Abhishek