[arch-haskell] Triggering recompilation automatically?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Aug 1 17:48:52 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Xyne<xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> Don Stewart wrote:
>> magnus:
>> > On two of my systems I'm refraining from upgrading GHC to 6.10.4 due to
>> > xmonad-contrib not having been recompiled yet.  I suspect this kind of
>> > situation is going to become more common the more binary Haskell packages
>> > that make it into Arch.  Is there some good way to deal with it (besides
>> > doing a local re-compilation of the package)?
>> >

>> We need an upgrade check list and work plan for maintainers.
>
> Do you think it might be a good idea to create a Pacman package group
> to keep track of Haskell packages which need to be recompiled with each
> GHC upgrade? Perhaps "ghc-compiled" would be clear enough. This should
> make it easier to handle such upgrades automatically.

AFAIU there is enough information in the repo databases to find all
packages that depend on ghc, would creating a group really make this
easier or have any other benefits?

I am also wondering why all packages depend on 'ghc' rather than
'ghc=6.10.3', when so clearly a package compiled with 6.10.3 only will
work as advertised with that exact version of the compiler?