[Yhc] ByteString

Creighton Hogg wchogg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 09:34:58 EDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Thomas Shackell <shackell at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote:

> Creighton Hogg wrote:
>
> > Yeah in line with Neal's suggestion, I had added a FakeString module
> > that was imported by SysDeps as PackedString and just provided
> > unpackPS = id
> > and
> > packString = id
> > I had done something silly where that first one didn't build properly,
> > but now that that's fixed I'm getting errors I don't really understand
> > on 5 of the tests.  I'll probably look at them tonight & ask questions
> > about how chunks of the code work.
>
> hmm I would have thought that String and PackedString should behave
> identical, apart from the 'packedness'. Still there could be some subtle
> semantic difference ...

Yeah, a several of the five failures were caused by running out of memory.
Now, I thought String vs. PackedString shouldn't be that much of a
difference anymore?  Are there strictness differences between the two that
could be causing the String version to build up huge thunks?  Maybe I'll be
a wench and change it to ByteString.Char8 and see what happens.