[xmonad] Shift Spotify to the right workspace

Eyal Erez oneself at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 19:28:40 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have a workspace called "music" and I'm trying to shift the Spotify linux
client there.  I put this as part of my manage hook, but it doesn't seem to
work.  Spotify starts up in whatever workspace I happen to be (this works
fine for many other apps).

   , className =? "Spotify"        --> doShift "music"
    , className =? "spotify"        --> doShift "music"
    , title     =? "spotify"        --> doShift "music"

Looking at xprop, I see the following:

_NET_WM_ICON(CARDINAL) =
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "spotify", "Spotify"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "Spotify"
_NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "Spotify"
_NET_WM_DESKTOP(CARDINAL) = 2
WM_STATE(WM_STATE):
                window state: Normal
                icon window: 0x0
XdndProxy(WINDOW): window id # 0x4c00002
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified location: 0, 0
                window gravity: Static
_NET_WM_PID(CARDINAL) = 8317
WM_LOCALE_NAME(STRING) = "en_US.UTF-8"
WM_CLIENT_MACHINE(STRING) = "eyal"
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW, _NET_WM_PING

Is Spotify not setting something right or not at the right time?

--
*Eyal Erez <**oneself at gmail.com* <oneself at gmail.com>*>*

There are 10 types of people, those who know binary and those who don't.