[xmonad] Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 18:40:44 UTC 2018

The difference is that xmonad doesn't start a dbus session for you. Look at
the dbus-launch command for how to start a session, depending on how that
session is set up. For example, if you are using .xsession, you'll want to
use the eval version to make it available to everything launched from
.xsession instead of only from xmonad.

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 1:37 PM Thomas Järvstrand <tjarvstrand at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the reply! I do however believe that it is related to xmonad
> somehow, or at least how I'm starting it, since the same command works fine
> when I'm in a qtile session. Unfortunately I'm very much a newbie when in
> comes to DBus and systemd
>
> Thomas
>
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2018, 10:12 Paul Fertser, <fercerpav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 05:45:53PM +0100, Thomas Järvstrand wrote:
>> > having trouble locking my screen using light-locker-command. When
>> calling
>> > "light-locker-command -l" from the command line, I get the this back:
>> > "Received error message from the locker:
>> > GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
>> > org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files"
>>
>> This means that the application is trying to use an FDO DBus API to do
>> the actual locking. And indeed, its description says:
>>
>> It relies on lightdm for locking and unlocking your session via
>> ConsoleKit/UPower or logind/systemd.
>>
>> > I'm running Ubuntu's mini.iso, lightdm, and a simple session file that
>> just
>>
>> So since you're using lightdm already what you need to figure out is
>> what package exactly is supposed to be providing
>> org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver on your system. I hope your distro people
>> can help figuring that out, the issue seems to be absolutely unrelated
>> to XMonad.
>>
>> HTH
>> --
>> Be free, use free (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) software!