[xmonad] Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 09:11:59 UTC 2018

Hello,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 05:45:53PM +0100, Thomas Järvstrand wrote:
> having trouble locking my screen using light-locker-command. When calling
> "light-locker-command -l" from the command line, I get the this back:
> "Received error message from the locker:
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files"

This means that the application is trying to use an FDO DBus API to do
the actual locking. And indeed, its description says:

It relies on lightdm for locking and unlocking your session via
ConsoleKit/UPower or logind/systemd.

> I'm running Ubuntu's mini.iso, lightdm, and a simple session file that just

So since you're using lightdm already what you need to figure out is
what package exactly is supposed to be providing
org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver on your system. I hope your distro people
can help figuring that out, the issue seems to be absolutely unrelated
to XMonad.

HTH
mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com