[xmonad] Can't lock screen with light-locker-command

Thomas Järvstrand tjarvstrand at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 16:45:53 UTC 2018

Hi!

I just moved back to xmonad after having used qtile for a few years and I'm
having trouble locking my screen using light-locker-command. When calling
"light-locker-command -l" from the command line, I get the this back:
"Received error message from the locker:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files"

I'm running Ubuntu's mini.iso, lightdm, and a simple session file that just
calls /etc/X11/Xsession. My .xsession only adds "~/.cabal/bin" to the PATH
and execs xmonad. xmonad version is 0.15 but I get the same behaviour when
installing xmonad via apt and running the package's session. I have tried
purging and reinstalling both lightdm and light-locker. The curious thing
is that the same lock command works fine if I run qtile from my .xsession
instead of xmonad.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Thomas