[xmonad] RFC: XMonad.Prompt.ConfirmPrompt module

Michael Sloan mgsloan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 19:35:25 UTC 2015

I am greatly in favor of moving to git.  Apologies for the laziness,
but I've been sitting on some cleanup patches to one of my
XMonadContrib modules for a year or two now, because I haven't taken
the time to figure out how to push to darcs / get it reviewed / etc.
My XMonad configuration has grown quite large with sections labeled
"potential XMonadContrib module?".

These weaknesses of github are pretty much only present when you are
rebasing / force pushing the review branch.  What do you mean by "no
patch history"?  The old commits are still visible, along with their
comments.  What is wrong with the comment system?  I get notifications
for comment replies, so I haven't experienced them being hidden.

In my experience, the PR system works fine.  Certainly worse exist,
personally I've had quite bad experiences with gerrit.  I realize that
Torvalds himself takes issue with it, but it seems to work just fine
for all the haskell projects on github (it seems like the majority of
them). Is a philosophical issue like this really a good reason to
ignore the positive network effects of hosting on github?  People are
familiar with github, and so this lowers the barrier to entry.
.
The hub tool helps quite a lot with reviewing PRs:
https://github.com/github/hub  It allows you to easily checkout a PR
simply by copy pasting its URL.

I think we could see a revitalization of XMonad if such barriers to
contribution are lowered.  I would certainly be more likely to
contribute patches.

-Michael