[xmonad] smartBorders and fullscreen Firefox

Audun Skaugen audunskaugen at gmail.com
Tue May 6 09:36:11 UTC 2014

Hi,
I remember having the same issue when using xmonad. The reason is that
smartBorders only activate when a floating window covers the entire
screen, not when a tiled window covers the screen. I guess it could be
modified to be effective on both cases.

My (very lacking) workaround was to turn off borders completely and use
XMonad.Hooks.FadeInactive to distinguish focus instead.

På Sat, 03 May 2014 11:36:08 +0200, skrev Kilian Evang
<maschinenraum at texttheater.net>:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 12.04's "Gnome with Xmonad" session, currently with the
> following config:
>
> https://github.com/texttheater/.xmonad/blob/3e73e43cbfc57d418281c60dc700e494f7812183/xmonad.hs
>
> As you can see, I have it set up so that fullscreen windows cover the
> whole screen, including the Gnome panels
>
> For Firefox, this required some extra work because apparently
> isFullscreen doesn't trigger when Firefox goes fullscreen. Luckily,
> there is XMonad.Layout.Fullscreen.fullscreenEventHook and
> XMonad.Layout.Fullscreen.fullscreenFull to handle this.
>
> What still doesn't work is for XMonad.Layout.NoBorders to notice when
> Firefox goes fullscreen. Although I'm using smartBorders, a border
> around the fullscreen Firefox window is still drawn as long as there is
> another window on the same workspace.
>
> Can I tweak my config so that this border goes away?
>
> Also, should the NoBorders module be improved to handle this situation?
>
> Cheers,
> Kilian

Audun Skaugen