[xmonad] Issue 557 in xmonad: xmonad grabs keyboard and mouse on focus follows mouse, reproducibly

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Mon Sep 9 01:18:00 CEST 2013

Owner: ----

New issue 557 by joeyhe... at gmail.com: xmonad grabs keyboard and mouse on
focus follows mouse, reproducibly

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. start xmonad on my new lenovo yoga 11s laptop with provided xmonad.hs
2. use laptop for a few hours (I was seeing this at least twice a day)

This seems to occur when moving the mouse with focus follows mouse, and
switching focus from one terminal to another (I have seen it using both
xfce4-terminal and the sakura terminal). Xmonad seems to grab all keyboard
and mouse events, and not release them, which results in no mouse
movements, clicks, or keyboard activity doing anything in either xmonad or
the applications on screen.

However, ctrl-alt-FN works, and if I use the console to kill all my
terminals, this seems to convince xmonad to stop grabbing inputs.

I also tried using the console to start xev, and confirmed that it
generally saw no X events at all. I think that one time xev reported a
stream of X events, as if it were getting all the traffic I had generated
while trying to use my locked desktop.

Also, at least twice, after a several minute delay xmonad has woken up on
its own and dropped the grab. It then seemed to process all the keys I had
pressed, which was disconcerting.

0.11 on Debian unstable with XFCE panel 4.10.1

Are you using an xmonad.hs?  Please attach it and the output of "xmonad
--recompile".

It's attached. Note that I have used xmonad for years without seeing this
problem. I switched laptops, made some minor changes to my xmonad.hs and
now it happens frequently enough to be a real productivity problem. On the
other hand, if someone is looking to debug this somehow, I can probably
reproduce it reliably enough to try whatever steps make sense to debug it.

Attachments:
	xmonad.hs  7.1 KB