[xmonad] Problem with flickering white lines for some apps.

Dominik Schrempf dominik.schrempf
Fri Oct 4 08:09:51 UTC 2013

Hello,

I use xmonad standalone with an 3.11.2-1-ARCH kernel on an 21.5 inch
iMac with the xf86video-nouveau driver (I log in using slim). For some
applications I observe white flickering lines at the bottom right
quadrant of the screen. If I let these windows float, the flickering
still appears if I move them to the bottom right (I can only see the
lines inside the window, not at the wallpaper), but it disappears if I
move them more to the top left of the screen. Gnome applications like
nautilus and gnome-terminal are not affected by these white lines, the
wallpaper isn't either. Emacs, Okular, Firefox flicker though and I
didn't try it out with other software.

I am a bit at a loss, because I am not sure, how I could provide any log
files or other evidence that could help me to solve the problem. Do you
have any suggestions? I could provide my xmonad.hs. I noticed one other
suspicious thing regarding the flickering applications: they lag 5 to 10
seconds when I start them.

E.g. when I start emacs --daemon at the terminal it shows the
     Daemon does not run, starting emacs daemon and client.
     Warning: due to a long standing Gtk+ bug ...
message, then it hangs for about 5 seconds.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Cheers,
Dominik