[xmonad] How to prefix workspace names with numbers?

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Thu Oct 11 09:53:58 CEST 2012

Pablo Olmos de Aguilera C. writes:

>>> and after a while dzen was totally filled, so I couldn't keep track of
>>> everything.
>>
>> Well, yes, as the number of workspaces grows, it does become more
>> difficult to keep track of things. But it's much *more* difficult to
>> keep track of all those things if you have to stuff them all on a mere 7
>> workspaces with names like 'files' and 'various'.
>
> Of course it's hard if you aren't in my mind O_o. I know perfectly
> what's in each workspace.

I totally admit that XMonad is just a crutch I need because of the
limitations of my brain. My poor little brain just can't keep track of
all of this (certainly not efficiently), if yours can, then I send a
little nod of admiration in your general direction.

But I find it hard to believe that anyone who can keep track of N (for
large values of N) windows on a single workspace, would find it *more*
difficult to keep track of the same windows, when spread out over
several named workspaced containing related windows. But then experience
tells me that people's brains can be wired up completely differently.

>> But seriously, rebooting my computer feels like taking all my belongings
>> out of my house and then putting them back into place. I can't fathom
>> why anyone would want to do that voluntarily.
>
> I don't have a workstation, only my laptop and a 24'' monitor. So I
> have to turn off my computer every day.

Huh?

I don't have a workstation, only my laptop and a 26'' monitor. I have a
laptop as my main workstation precisely to enable me NOT TO SWITCH IT
OFF AT ALL, even when I have to move physically to another country. Yes,
I might suspend or hibernate it, but switch it off? Why on earth would
you want/need to do that?

> It's a good complement, It's very easy to have tmuxinator

OK, what's tuxminator? Cursory Googling doesn't come up with anything
sensible, two days in a row now, only wallpaper.

> configuration to open the pane configuration I want. Sadly, that's
> impossible to do with xmonad.

Granted, I haven't found anything like that in XMonad, but then I
haven't really looked, because I don't really need it, becasue I never
switch my computer off.

>> Thanks for your kind words. They brightened up my morning.
>
> Was that ironic?

No, why?

I interpreted your remarks as laughing with me rather than laughing at
me. I enjoyed sharing the laugh, and thanked you for sharing it.

> Yep, though some things you have written are good ideas that I'm
> probably going to implement in the near future.

Cool, it tickles me pink to have some positive influence on people.

> Oh, thanks, though I'm still used to gmail web interface =(.

That's something else that I find unfathomable. Email is essentially
text. To deal with it efficiently, I want to use the most efficient tool
I have for dealing with text. That would be the text editor I use daily,
and whose actions have been imprinting themselves into the core of my
nervous system over the course of many years. Regardless of what your
choice of editor is, I can't fathom why you would want to relinquish all
that in favour of a slow, cumbersome, inefficient, pointy-clickety
interface.

OK, maybe managing your mail, as opposed to writing it, is something
that only Emacs users would understand/want/appreciate. But *writing*
your mail? Surely *everyone* would want to write their mail in their
standard text editor, rather than some ad-hoc one. (So that, for
example, if you want to prepend the author's initials to each of his
quoted lines, there's nothing to wonder about: it just happens
naturally.)

Personally, I just can't stomach any mail interface that is not Embedded
in Emacs. But then Emacs is pretty much my OS.