[xmonad] Problem with smartBorders, multiple screens, and fullscreen windows

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 03:38:32 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM, <wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:

> 2. give very, very specific instructions, like, down to exactly what keys
> to press (for example, what does "make a window fullscreen" mean? I can
> think of half a dozen things to do in xmonad that might reasonably be
> called making a window fullscreen, and probably only one of them triggers
> your problem)

You also don't say which fullscreen mechanism you have in your xmonad.hs;
the default doesn't support fullscreen except by the application
specifically opening a fullscreen (by its determination) floating window,
and there are at least three different ways to add fullscreen support in
contrib.

Also note that all three of your examples are special cases that can be
quite fragile; it's not at all unusual for mplayer or flash to decide to do
something stupid on loss of focus of a fullscreened window (or sometimes
even a non-fullscreen window; and something different depending on which
mplayer video driver you use or whether flash is using hardware
acceleration or not:  note that the very first thing most "flash doesn't
work right fullscreened" help guides tell you to do is turn off its
hardware acceleration), and virtualbox's video drivers are in my experience
quite unreliable and oddly behaved.