[xmonad] displaying windows names

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Fri Jun 29 15:43:26 CEST 2012

Raphael Bauduin [2012.06.29 1438 +0200]:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to temporarily display (toggle, or time-limited) each
> window's name to identify each window? By window name I mean eg what's
> displayed in the Tabbed Simplest layout.
>
> Here is why: when I use the Mirror Tall layout with an htop running in
> each terminal displayed, it's sometimes hard to identify which window
> is for which server.

There are two quick ideas I can think of, both very similar:

1) Create a version of your layout augmented with X.L.SimpleDecoration.  When
you switch to this layout, tabs displaying the window titles are shown above
each window.  Then you can switch back to the original layout and the tabs
disappear again.

2) The "problem" with (1) is that the windows are resized to make room for the
tabs.  An alternative would be to use X.L.DwmStyle instead, which displays the
window title on top of the window in the top-right corner.  The caveat here is
that the window title of the focused iwindow is not displayed.

Cheers,
Norbert