[xmonad] doFullFloat keybinding?

Matthew Hague matthewhague at zoho.com
Tue Jul 10 16:42:03 CEST 2012

> Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 10:23:23 +0200
> Subject: [xmonad] doFullFloat keybinding?
>
> When evince is FullFloating I got problems when opening more than one
> instance of it, like a second paper. It just lets the first one disappear
> under the freshly opened one.

The solutions discussed already are probably the way to go for a clean
approach, but just a remark on this point, as it's a general problem with
floating windows in xmonad.

There's a (undocumented, i think) function raiseWindow that you can use to put
a window in front of all others.  I guess this isn't called by default since
tiled windows don't need to be raised in front of each other (whereas floats
do).

So you can add this to your config to get around it, but maybe it's a hack:

    raiseFocused :: X ()
    raiseFocused = do
        disp <- asks display
        mw <- gets (W.peek . windowset)
        maybe (return ()) (io . (raiseWindow disp)) mw

    myLogHook = ... <+> raiseFocused <+> ...

Matt