[xmonad] Avoiding multiple status bar processes after XMonad restart

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 01:31:14 CET 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 19:17, Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch>wrote:

> Don't you mean PipeReader, if we started it with spawnPipe? And
> presumably StdinReader would be used with the startupHook version you
> suggested?

spawnPipe creates an anonymous pipe which is connected to xmobar's stdin,
and corresponds to a StdinReader in xmobar.

> In any case, I had neither StdinReader nor PipeReader in my xmobar
> config. StdinReader doesn't fix it

Right, as I said, if you aren't using StdinReader then xmobar isn't reading
from its stdin and therefore will not know when xmonad goes away.  You need
to configure a StdinReader and use %StdinReader% in the template (if it's
not in the template, the StdinReader again won't be used, and xmobar won't
be reading its stdin so it won't know when the connection to xmonad goes
away).

Actually, if you have DynamicLog configured but no StdinReader in xmobar,
I'm a little surprised that xmonad isn't eventually hanging due to a bug in
the GHC runtime (which appears to have recently been found and fixed, so
hopefully will be in the next GHC release).