[xmonad] Delays in focus update...

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Wed Feb 8 19:53:06 CET 2012

On 02/08/2012 11:21 AM, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> Allen S. Rout [2012.02.08 0921 -0500]:

>> The most common case of this is when I copy something to the cut
>> buffer, and go 'somewhere else' to paste it.  At the moment, I've
>> added to my mental process a "pause and wait for the G- D- border to
>> turn red". Otherwise things get pasted into nowhere.  That's a
>> serious interruption of flow.
>
> How long a focus delay are we talking about?  When I tested, even with the
> excessive number of 30 windows per workspace, the focus moved between windows
> faster than I would have been able to move my hand back from the mouse to the
> keyboard.  So either you are extremely fast at sweeping across with your mouse
> and then starting to type or there is something else in your setup which makes
> the delay more serious than I was able to observe.

Well, Copying a phrase from 'A' and then pasting it on B (on the other
side of my screen layout) the delay approaches zero.  A tenth of a
second is noticable, a third of a second is irritating. I seem to be
getting results which are seldom more than a second, but frequently more
than half a second.

Here is a snippet of xev output from my sweeping the mouse across the
screen.  Incidentally, I was going to paste something in my editor
window when I recorded this, and missed. :)

PropertyNotify event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0x8400001,
     atom 0x143 (WM_STATE), time 2950262434, state PropertyNewValue

PropertyNotify event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0x8400001,
     atom 0x143 (WM_STATE), time 2950262548, state PropertyNewValue

PropertyNotify event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0x8400001,
     atom 0x143 (WM_STATE), time 2950262654, state PropertyNewValue

PropertyNotify event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0x8400001,
     atom 0x143 (WM_STATE), time 2950262766, state PropertyNewValue

PropertyNotify event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0x8400001,
     atom 0x143 (WM_STATE), time 2950262876, state PropertyNewValue

PropertyNotify event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0x8400001,
     atom 0x143 (WM_STATE), time 2950271084, state PropertyNewValue

- Allen S. Rout