[xmonad] Using gkrellm as a dock/bar?

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 16:02:38 CET 2011

Excerpts from Mike Meyer's message of Tue Nov 22 22:56:49 -0700 2011:
> I'm trying to use gkrellm (because I've already got the configured the
> way I want them) as a status bar with XMonad. I read the faq, tweaked
> my xmonad.hs (a modified copy of the original, attached) and set the
> dock_type to 1 (which can be done with a config option in recent
> versions of gkrellm).
>
> Doesn't work. gkrellm stays in floating space, and the windows don't
> shrink to allow it any space. I did try xmobar, and that worked as
> expected.

One thing is to run xprop _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL and click on the gkrellm
to confirm it's asking to reserve the appropriate space. (Setting struts
to be avoided with avoidStruts.) Also add manageDocks to your manage
hook. This is the bit that unmanages DOCK windows.

-- wmw