[xmonad] Toggle Window (Always Below <-> Always Above)

Jan-David Quesel quesel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 15:35:56 CET 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:43:00PM +0100, Audun Skaugen wrote:
> På Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:52:05 +0100, skrev Jan-David Quesel
> <quesel at gmail.com>:
>
> >ah yeah that sounds like a good idea. might have been a
> >missunderstanding on my side that I didnt come to think of just
> >using ask to retrieve the window.
> >
> >I'm now trying to use the following manageHook
> >checkDock --> do
> >                win <- ask
> >                WindowDump windows <- XS.get :: X WindowDump
> >                XS.put $ WindowDump (win:windows)
> >                doHideIgnore
>
> XS.get and XS.put live in the X monad, while manage hooks live in
> the Query monad. The solution is to lift the calls, thus:
>
> checkDock --> do
>                 win <- ask
>                 WindowDump windows <- liftX XS.get :: Query WindowDump
>                 liftX $ XS.put $ WindowDump (win:windows)
>                 doHideIgnore

ah nice. That seems to work. Now on to the next issue.
Floating the docks seems to kinda work. However it has lots of
ugly side effects, such as being able to move the windows around etc.

When I call doIgnore on the window and later try to call reveal
on it, it does stay in the background... same for doHideIgnore
and reveal.

Is there a function I can call on a window to get on top of other
windows?

Regards,
Jan

--
Jan-David Quesel
Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg

Phone: +49 (0)441 798-2376
Fax: +49 (0)441 798-2965