[xmonad] Re: per-window keyboard layouts

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 02:36:10 EDT 2010

* On Saturday, March 27 2010, Konstantin Sobolev wrote:

>Update. First version works incorrectly with multiple workspaces due
>to the fact that XMonad creates separate Layout copy for every
>workspace, so we get a number of independent LayoutModifer (custom
>data) instances instead of just one. (By the way, why is it
>necessary?)

For writing actual layouts, keeping layout state per workspace makes
more sense (think about what would happen with dual monitors, different
layouts per workspace...). It's much easier to go to global state from
workspace-local state than the other way around.

>It took me some time to find a workaround; it assumes that different
>workspaces have different tags. Here it goes, version 2:

This assumption is probably true, but I'm not sure how it would compare
to keeping track based on the index in the output of W.workspaces...

Perhaps it would be better to implement this as a handleEventHook.

>http://hpaste.org/fastcgi/hpaste.fcgi/view?id=24417

Here are some suggestions to shorten the code:

--
Adam