[xmonad] background applications

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Aug 30 04:21:44 EDT 2010

On 30/08/10 02:56, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> I've recently set up xmonad on Ubuntu 10.04, and I think it's a testament to
> xmonad's ease of use that after only three days, the biggest problem I'm
> having is this:
>
> I've got some applications that are run at startup, including Skype.  Under
> gnome (or do I mean metacity?) Skype shows up only in the system tray, no
> window. Under xmonad, Skype runs (if someone calls me a floating window
> appears), but since it has no window I seem to have no means of interacting
> with it. Is there some way I can call it up? Or at worst, have it start with
> an actual window?

As other people have already responded you need some sort of
panel/notification area where skype and other applications can display their
icon when minimised.

Once you have that up and running though, you might run into another issue.
One that I haven't found any solution to yet.  Some applications seem to
minimise just fine under other WMs, but refuse to do so under xmonad.  The
only application I frequently use suffering from this is empathy.  If
you run
into the same issue, and manage to solve it, then please pass on the
information :-)

/M

magnus@therning.org           Jabber: magnus@therning.org