[xmonad] UTF8 output from xmonad mangled

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Fri Apr 30 08:30:10 EDT 2010

Khudyakov Alexey [2010.04.29 1720 +0400]:
> В сообщении от 29 апреля 2010 15:29:20 вы написали:
> > В сообщении от 29 апреля 2010 09:30:22 Norbert Zeh написал:
> > > (1) xmonad seems to double-encode the utf string.  Namely, if I change
> > >     my ppOutput to hPutStrLn handle . UTF8.decodeString, things come out
> > >     *kind of* fine.
> >
> > Here is patch to fix this. It does work with GHC6.12 but I couldn't test it
> > with 6.10 or older

Well, the easier patch at the moment seems to be not to call
encodeOutput in DynamicLog.hs.  This doesn't seem to break anything
else.

However, now here's a problem with xmobar, which rather seems to be an
X11 problem.  Certain characters (e.g. \x2192 (right arrow)) still get
mangled.  I was able to verify that they are still intact immediately
before xmobar calls wcDrawImageString to render them on screen.  So
something must be going wrong inside wcDrawImageString.

N.