[xmonad] UTF8 output from xmonad mangled

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Wed Apr 28 05:11:53 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I'm using xmobar as my status bar and have problems to get UTF8
characters to display correctly.  I did the following tests:

1.  Start xmobar, reading input from stdin.  Type in some unicode
characters.  Xmobar displays them fine.

2.  Add some unicode characters to my loghook in xmonad.  Things come
out garbled.

3.  Instead of piping to xmobar, make xmonad write to a file.  The file
contents are also garbled.  To be more precise, they are exactly what
xmobar shows me in the second test.

So this seems like the problem is on xmonad's end, not xmobar's.  I'm
running the latest darcs version of xmonad.  Any ideas what could be
causing this?

Thanks,
Norbert