[xmonad] how to get google chrome to open midi files with timidity

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 21 22:42:01 EDT 2010

Quoting Sean Neilan <sean at seanneilan.com>:

> I'm just wondering if other users of xmonad have been through the process of
> getting files to open with specified programs. like, when I click on a
> downloaded midi file in google chrome, I'd like it to run timidity on that

Chrome just calls xdg-open. Have a read through the xdg-open source
code (it's a quite readable bash script). If you've got Gnome, KDE, or
XFCE running, it will use the corresponding openers, so you should
just set the default application using that DE's settings widget.
Otherwise, it's trying $BROWSER, then firefox, then a few other
fallbacks, so just set $BROWSER to something that knows how to choose
the right program for its argument and rock on.

Cheers,
~d