[xmonad] Popup origin

Donald Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 12:36:54 EDT 2009

I'm new to xmonad, but not to tiling window managers, having used dwm
for a time (I got tired of the sometimes unruly-junior-high-school-boy
character of discussion on their mailing list, though this does not
apply to Anselm himself, who is unfailingly polite). So I'm giving
xmonad a try, and so far, so good.

I do have one issue, however. I have a pair of systems that share (via
a dvm) a Lenovo display with a 16/9 aspect ratio. On that display,
popup dialogs, such as the file-chooser that appears during
file-download operations in Firefox, are positioned too low on the
screen, resulting the in the bottom of the dialog being cut off (this
is not an issue on my older Thinkpad G41 with a 1400x1050 display). Is
there a way to specify the origin of popup windows via the
configuration system?

I should mention that I'm running OpenBSD 4.5 Release on all these
systems and xmonad 0.7, which is the version Release 4.5 provides as a
package. So I'm aware that there is a newer version of xmonad. (I've
had no success trying to build the newer version with the ghc compiler
and libraries Release 4.5 provides.) So, it's possible this issue has
been addressed in the newer version.

Thanks in advance for any help --
/Don Allen