[xmonad] dead spaces / monitor borders

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 15:12:44 EDT 2009

Excerpts from Csillag Kristof's message of Sat Sep 05 03:22:42 -0600 2009:

> I am using two displays (with different resolutions), united by RandR.
>
> Sometimes I access my desktop via VNC: one big, full-screen VNC window
> covers both monitors. (I am not even running any window manager at the
> client side.)
>
> However, the information about the two physical monitors
> (and the resulting dead space) is not transmitted by VNC
> to the server, so the applications (including the window manager),
> which are running at the server, have no idea about
> the physical layout.
>
> Question: can Xmonad be configured to
> - handle the two displays as separate entities (despite
>   being covered by a single VNC session), and
> - consider the dead space?

Haven't tried it with VNC, but LayoutScreens xmonad-contrib module will
probably handle this. It lets you toggle to and from different screen
layouts with ...  fixedLayout [<list of screen Rects>] ... and rescreen.

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/xmonad-contrib/0.8.1/doc/html/XMonad-Layout-LayoutScreens.html
http://tinyurl.com/m75z5e

--
wmw