[xmonad] gnome: workspace with one window -> make it float -> (function) keys on desktop icons don't work anymore

Jan Müller mueller at imt.uni-luebeck.de
Fri Sep 4 11:58:55 EDT 2009

Hi,

I see the following behavior:

- start gnome and xmonad
- go to a workspace with a single window open
- make this window float by using right mouse button
- click on a desktop icon
- press F2 to rename it

-> F2 doesn't reach the desktop, instead it is applied to the floating window, although the desktop should have the focus

this behavior is not restricted to F2, but is valid for all keys (at least I guess so)

I'm running the latest official xmonad release on ubuntu 9.04

my xmonad.hs does not include anything fancy. the basis is:

main = xmonad $ gnomeConfig
    {
        layoutHook = avoidStruts $ smartBorders $ layoutHook gnomeConfig
        manageHook = manageDocks <+> myManageHook <+> manageHook gnomeConfig
    }

mymangeHook is copied from the wiki and includes some windows.