[xmonad] HintedGrid + gimp

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Tue Oct 20 10:01:34 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:11:40AM -0600, Wirt Wolff wrote:
> Excerpts from Nathan Huesken's message of Sun Oct 18 14:06:54 -0600 2009:
> >
> > If I start gimp in float layout, it puts its windows very nicely. When I
> > start in in HintedGrid layout, it is tiled like any other application
> >
> > Is this due gimp not setting hints? Or is HintedGrid not able to
> > accomendate gimps hints and therefor does nothing?

[...]
> The toolbox and dock, (which do set resize hints) are probably
> better handled differently, though, e.g. with Layout.IM or one of the
> other combining layouts. They work best in tall skinny windows, which
> wouldn't make much sense for *Grid unless you mainly work on vertical
> banner ads.

I generally use TwoPane for gimp with the toolbox/dock (I have them
combined) in the master pane. And I use Meta-H to shrink the main pane
significantly. THen I can stack multiple images in the other side. It
works fairly well for me, though there are oddities when the current
image isn't the on just below the master in the stack.

[..]
> manageHook to float /all/ gimp windows, and you do want floating
> dialogs,

I messed around a little bit with this and just left it at float *all*
gimp windows and then just sink the two I need -- toolbox/dock and
image.

I know there are others with way more sophisticated approaches to
manage gimp, but this is what works for me as an occasional gimp user.