[xmonad] Some Gnome fit and finish work

John Yates john at yates-sheets.org
Wed May 20 01:02:58 EDT 2009

I would like to convince work colleagues using recent Ubuntu and
RedHat distributions to give a tiling wm a try.  For many jarring
visuals may be enough to create resistance.  Thus I have taken it upon
myself to produce a well polished Gnome integration.  Here I am
posting some results of that work.

I started with a vanilla Ubuntu Gnome setup.  I dropped the lower
Gnome panel and its applets.  On the remaining upper panel I included
left to right:
- a standard Gnome separator applet
- the Gnome Window Selector applet
- a recent dzen2 build with Xft support, configured to occupy the
middle half of the bar and to display only the current window's title
in a style identical to the rest of the panel
- the Gnome Workspace Switcher applet

Attached bar.png exhibits this basic configuration.  I particularly
like having the Window Selector display the current window's icon to
the left of the title.  Attached window-selector.png shows the applet
in its dropped-down state.

The biggest effort was getting a dmenu that looked right on the bar.
I know nothing about graphics, font rendering, etc.  But between
Alexander Polakov's patch for dmenu 3.4 and the example of Robert
Manea's xft support in dzen I got it to work (dmenu-4.0-xft.diff).  To
get a properly sized dmenu bar I had to add a -bh option to configure
bar height.  Net net effect is a dmenu bar using the same font and
colors (see dmenu.png).

My xmonad.hs at the moment is utterly sparse but does attempt to
simplify the process of accommodating additional themes.

/john