[xmonad] Re: Multiple user setup

Rickard Nilsson rickard.nilsson at telia.com
Fri May 15 11:33:31 EDT 2009

Quoting mail at justinbogner.com:

> Rickard Nilsson
> <rickard.nilsson at telia.com> writes:
>> However, I am pondering a different setup, where I only start one
>> Xserver running Xmonad. Then I would let that instance of Xmonad start
>> two instances of Xephyr (a nested X server), one that runs another
>> instance of Xmonad and one that runs Gnome. I could switch between the
>> users's desktops by appropriate key bindings in the bottom Xmonad
>> instance. The first Xmonad instance would run as a separate user, or
>> maybe the root user.
>>

> [...]
>

>> Do you think this is a feasible setup? Is Xmonad lightweight enough
>> for this configuration? Can the key bindings in the two Xmonad
>> instances be coordinated easily (can I somehow create a "clean"
>> configuration in the root Xmonad, removing all defaults and just add a
>> few global key bindings)?
>
> This should work fairly well, I would think. The only problem I can
> think of is that the configuration for xmonad isn't configurable, so you
> would need to write one configuration that decided whether or not it was
> the master and set things up differently in that case, which might be a
> little bit messy.

I would probably run the first Xmonad as a dedicated user. Then I
would have two different configuration files, say
~xmonad/.xmonad/xmonad.hs and ~rickard/.xmonad/xmonad.hs for the
different instances. It would solve that problem, wouldn't it? Of
course it could maybe be more convenient with just one configuration
file. But then again, I might set up one more xmonad user instance and
then it makes more sense with one global xmonad.hs and two user
configurations.

   / Rickard