[xmonad] StackSet patch

Wouter Swierstra wouter at chalmers.se
Mon May 4 04:57:46 EDT 2009

I found a really minor bug in the "new" function in StackSet.hs. I've
attached a patch to fix it.

More interesting, however, is how I found this. I've been transcribing
XMonad's StackSets to the functional language/proof assistant Coq.
I've set up a darcs repository with my work so far:

   darcs get www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~wss/repos/StackSet

At the moment I have a fairly complete implementation of StackSets in
Coq. I have to admit that I did cut a few corners here and there, but
there's nothing that can't be fixed with a bit more work. From this
Coq file, you can (in principle) extract Haskell code that is pretty
close to the current StackSet.hs.

I should emphasize that I haven't proven much about StackSets just
yet. This only shows that the definitions in StackSet.hs can be made
total (i.e. non-crashing and terminating) in a richer type theory. It
should be fun to prove some QuickCheck properties in Coq – which is
what I'd like to do next.

   Wouter