[xmonad] Turning emacs mini-buffer window into a strut

Bruce Stephens xmonad at cenderis.demon.co.uk
Sat May 2 14:14:48 EDT 2009

John Yates <john at yates-sheets.org> writes:

[...]

> From the xmonad FAQ and some googling I believe that when that
> window appears I need to set its override-redirect attribute to true
> and define it as a strut.  Though I am working my way through Hal
> Daumé's "Yet Another Haskell Tutorial" I fear it may be a while
> before I can code such a doStrut function.  Thus my appeal to the
> readers of this list.  My sense is that when the mini-buffer window
> appears it is properly sized and positioned.  Thus there should be
> no need to compute the strut components, they should be directly
> liftable from the window.

I don't know whether this is the best approach, but it occurs to me
that having the mini-buffer frame declare itself as a strut (by
setting _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL) might be a good way to do it?

There's an xmonad extension to handle struts, and presumably other
window managers could make use of it, too.  (I don't know whether this
could be done in elisp.  Hmm, I guess it's not, but that feels like a
logical thing for Emacs to be able to do, so maybe add a frame
parameter to do that?)