[xmonad] xterm/urxvt display problems

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 23 00:34:33 EST 2009

On 2009 Jan 21, at 10:28, Mads N Noe wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 03:32:04PM +0100, pascal wrote:
>> I have a shortcut for launching ncmpcpp (mpd client).
>> When I use it for the first time in the session, the display is fine.
>> But when I spawn it again I get some junk display, some areas of the
>> screen are not refreshed, staying permanently. However if I laucnh
>> ncmpcpp from an existing *term this problem disappears.
>> Any ideas ?
>>
> I had a similar problem with mutt and other ncurses based apps. They
> begin drawing using the original geometry before xmonad gets any
> change
> to resize it. The reason it works the first time in a session is that
> the startup is slower. I worked around it by making a small delay
> before
> the app starts. Try something like this:
>
> spawn "urxvt -e '{ sleep 0.2; myApp; }'"

XTerm has a -wf option (or waitForMap resource) which causes it to
delay starting the process until the window is mapped and the window
size negotiation with the window manager is finished.  It doesn't look
like urxvt has anything similar; perhaps it should be requested.  In
the meantime, see if "xterm -wf -e myApp" works any better.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu