[xmonad] Bluetile

Jan Vornberger Jan.Vornberger at Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE
Fri Aug 28 14:01:27 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 01:29:40AM -0400, wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wrote:
> When an X window appears, it has a chance to request a particular
> geometry (size and shape on the screen).  There are lots of good
> reasons for this to happen.  Some apps have a "-geometry" argument
> on the command line, some detect the shape of the screen and try to
> show up in the center of the screen (or the center of one of the
> screens, if their developers are Xinerama-savvy), some request the
> same geometry as when they were closed the last time, and so on.  I
> assume WorkspaceByPos detects which screen an app "wants to go to"
> by where the requested geometry would put it.

That's absolutely correct and a much better explanation than
my "where it wants to go to". :-)

> With these use cases in mind, it seems useful, and perhaps even a
> nice feature.

I'm not entirely happy about WorkspaceByPos in its current version:

The way which WorkspaceByPos detects windows that do not have a
requested geometry is by checking for the request for position 0,0.
This seems to work fine, but I wonder if there is another, more 'proper'
way to figure this out.

Right now, it doesn't play very well with other ManageHooks that shift
windows to other workspaces. Obviously there is a conflict - should
WorkspaceByPos decide where it goes, or some rule that shifts the window
based on its className for example. I thought it's just a matter of
where WorkspaceByPos appears in the list of ManageHooks, but it still
seemed to cancel out shift operations no matter where i put it. I
haven't looked into it much, though.

Regards,

Jan