[xmonad] keynav: mouseless X11 navigation

Anze Slosar anze at berkeley.edu
Fri May 9 19:37:12 EDT 2008

>   "keynav is geared towards selecting a piece of the screen very quickly."
>
>   "You select a piece of the screen. The screen is initially wholely
>   selected. One move will cut that region by half. A move is a
>   direction: up, down, left, and right.

Umm, but this is not quite what I want. Because, you are not going to
click on OK using that, right? You can stick to keyboard by focusing the
window and then pressing Alt-o. So what I'would like to see implemented in
xmonad would be to use say Mod+Numeric 9 to select whatever window sits in
the upper right corner, Mod+Numeric 7 for left corner, Mod+numeric 5 for
most central window, mod+numeric 6, for right central window, etc. When
you have too many windows, this is often ambigous so you select one by
some sort of heuristics... But even on my 30" screen, I rarely have more
than 4-6 windows on any given desktop... The idea is that often you want
to focus "that window up there" rather than window #3, so some sort of
graphical intuition from buttons will be helpful (that is the entire point
of mouse after all)...

anze