[xmonad] Hello, and firefox

Thomas Adam thomas.adam22 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 16:03:01 EDT 2008

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:54:20 -0400
Adam Vogt <vogt.adam at gmail.com> wrote:
> So you can either somehow run firefox with a different class (and
> match to that), but I don't know how, without using a function from
> xlib to do that: XSetClassHint(). An it isn't supposed to be used
> like that.

Indeed -- and this is wrong.  Older versions of Firefox used to have a
--gtk-class flag which would allow you to change the Class of the
window before it is mapped [1] for just this purpose, but it seems to
have been removed.

[1]  The Class of a window is only allowed to be changed in the
WithDrawn state, hence why you can't change it with xprop whilst it is
mapped.  This is in accordance with the ICCCM2.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my
head." -- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.