[xmonad] Issue 168 in xmonad: gnome-panel with autohide enabled appears behind main windows

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Mon Jul 7 00:04:17 EDT 2008

Issue 168: gnome-panel with autohide enabled appears behind main windows

Comment #2 by jus... at justinbogner.com:
Attached are two patches that partially resolve this issue, but they
both come with
their own problems, and probably shouldn't go into the mainline without further
consideration. I'm providing them in hopes that they help the
discussion of the issue.
(I sent the first of these to the mailing list, but I'd like it to be
on the bug
tracker, as per shepheb's suggestion on the list.

visibleStruts.patch brings strut windows to the top of X's stacking
order, which
seems an appropriate thing to do. The problem here is that this breaks toggleStruts,
since xmonad covers up struts by using their space, but not hiding the strut.

hiddenStruts.patch unmaps struts that aren't being avoided, and maps
them again when
they are being avoided. This way, hiding and showing struts behaves
somewhat more
sanely, instead of just drawing over the panel, we remove the panel
from the screen.
Perhaps unfortunately though, this means that if avoidStrutsOn is being
used, any
struts that aren't being avoided will always be invisible --- I'm not
sure if this is
what people want. I strongly encourage anyone who uses avoidStrutsOn to
test this
patch and give feedback on whether or not the behaviour makes sense.

Attachments:
	visibleStruts.patch  22.2 KB
	hiddenStruts.patch  23.3 KB